Saturday, February 27, 2010

{thank you canada!}

No news is good news right? Wrong. Really wrong. In fact, I wish the American media would spend more time and money on capturing those stories of the heart. Like the story that I watched today on NBC. Tom Brokaw spent a good hour of Olympic off time today discussing a story that I know most Americans have not been familiarized with. Sadly, it took nearly a decade later to hear about it.
Some of you may know what I am talking about, now. But honestly, as I crawled up on the couch with a nasty cold, tissues in hand and tea nearby, little tears filled my eyes as I watched the generousity and support that the citizens of Gander, Canada gave us during September 11th. I was shocked that I hadn't heard about this sooner that we as a country didn't know about this sooner. So from the bottom of my heart and the Little Women we all want to say THANK YOU! Thank you for being there when we needed you Canada. Learning about you and your country has been a wonderful priviledge. It has been a dream of mine since very early childhood to visit. Actually, Duluth isn't very far from the Canadian border. In fact, it is only 151 miles to the Ontario border through the North Shore Scenic Highway 61. One day, I will come and visit. I'm looking forward to it very much!

3 Comments:

Jack said...

Ofcourse this is a little biased...
I have to say Canada is a beautiful country, filled with culture and ethnic diversity. I think you would like it very much :)

Anonymous said...

Emily You are so near to the border you should take a peek they are very much like you guys very nice and friendly I had the privelage to spend some time in Toronto Calgary Edmonton and Vancover and have to say i loved the trips.
However it is always nice for us to rember the ones who have for some reason been forgotten.
Have a wonderful day im looking forward to the weekend
Stephen

Erin {pughs' news} said...

My dad is from Gander, that tiny little town in Newfoundland that opened all its doors on September 11th, 2001. His family and friends welcomed people off the planes into their homes. It was an inspiring story. I'm so glad you got to hear it, even if it's several years later!

You really should visit us up here. We'd love to have you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails