Thursday, January 10, 2008

Remembering Life on the Farm

I just love animals. I am sure for others out there that have little furry friends that they would quite agree. I have had such a many different kind of furry friends that I don't even know where to start. You see I used to live on a ninety acre farm on a river where we had every farm animal imaginable (well we just didn't have cows, but our next door neighbors had buffalo and ostrich!). I sometimes look back on those days as if it was a dream. I used to milk goats, fetch chicken eggs, breed bunnies, cuddle with dozens of kittens and run around in my Anne of Green Gables prairie dress (my Grandma made for me) all day long, singing Edelweiss and sweet little songs from church that I memorized and sang to the animals or while I rode my Spanish horse on the open field with daisies in my arms. Gosh those were the days. Why did my family leave? Me and my sisters became heavily involved in music lessons, me in voice, Laura in violin, and Ashley in piano. Over a year we sold the animals and moved to the city where we now have 3/4 of an acre and one dog named Lucy who keeps us girls company. Wonderful years on the farm! I highly recommend it to anyone. Because of being on the farm I count myself very blessed. I am highly resourceful and strong which is good when you become a city girl. Sad. Awe well. Maybe I will find a Highlander from Scotland and settle in a cottage by the sea and become a sheep herder/sheperdess. It reminds me of that one poem from Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593) The Passionate Sheperd to His Love. Just lovely.


0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails