Wednesday, June 8, 2011

{blueberry crumble}


I love baking and I love even more the satisfaction of knowing that you can throw all of those ingredients together and some how every time it comes out great. Are you like me where you often times hold your breath and close your eyes with a silent prayer, praying that when you open up the oven the vision of delight and sweetness will in fact be a reality? Well, sometimes I do and last night was one of those sometimes. Like I said, I love baking but when you have been a busy college student for a good portion of eight years of your life you almost worry if you will ever really be able to bake or cook at all. At least I know that sometimes I worry. But I think, thankfully to my mom that she taught me well and to my grandma that she had enough patience to hang in the kitchen with me when I was too little to understand that you don't throw in a whole box of baking soda when she turns her back on you to go and get the eggs. =) (sorry grandma)

Anyways, long story short, I made an awesome blueberry crumble last night for dessert. Yep. It was pretty tasty! And who can resist using last years fresh wild blueberries? It just makes you happy!

Blueberry Crumble
(bake time 30 minutes; 375 degrees)

Filling:

1 tsp unsalted butter, softened
2 pints (4 cups) thawed blueberries, or any other berry
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbls cornstarch
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Struesel Topping:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/c cup granulated sugar
6 tbls of butter, cold, cut into pieces
1/2 cup of oats
1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans

Assembly:

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly butter an 8x8 -inch square baking dish.

For the filling: In a bowl, add the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and vanilla. Carefully mix ingredients together with a spatula, being careful to not crush the blueberries. Set aside while you assemble the topping.

For the topping: In a bowl, add the four, sugars, and butter. Incorporate the butter into the mixture until it resembles loose crumbs. Stir in the oats and nuts.

Pour the filling into your square pan and evenly distribute the topping over the fruit. Bake for 30 minutes, or unitl the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Cool slightly and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

ENJOY!

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails