Friday, July 16, 2010

{deja blue eyes}


Do you ever wake up in the morning recalling a dream before opening up your eyes that made you rewind a bit to recall an earlier dream you may have had? Gosh, I seem to be doing that a lot lately. OCD or what? I don't know. Although it seems with everything going on lately, my brain feels a little bit fried during the day and I think it's probably trying to tell me something about my life in my dreams at night. So I took that very knowledge to heart and did something about it. Mmmhhmmm... So what pray did little Emme do? She went to Google and lo and behold she found a treasure!!!

So the last few years I've been having these dreams about the Netherlands. Okay, so in all seriousness I really didn't that much about the place. I knew it was in Europe, that it was probably very lovely and so on. But aside from that, nothing really. But I was having these dreams with either the reference of the word "Netherlands" or actually living there. I've had them off and on for over four years now. So yesterday, during my break at work I very timidly typed in "Netherlands" in the Google search field and BOOM! My whole world became a lot larger.

Growing up, I always heard that the Rotter family (my mother's grandpa's relatives) was from Rotterdam and I always concluded that that must be in Germany since we are SO German. WRONG! It is in the Netherlands or what is more commonly referred to as Holland. Then I recalled doing research on my relative Peter Paul Rubens, only to find growing up that he was Flemish and I could never understand the connection of how he was German because that is what I was told he was. Well, wrong again dear heart. He was Dutch. I'M DUTCH! So isn't that the coolest thing ever? It's funny but I have to tell you that I feel such a HUGE connection there now. I wan't to learn more about my heritage and that country that my family called home. Also, I'm going to start paying closer attention to my dreams. Man... if I had just paid a little bit more attention four years ago maybe things would be different. Maybe I would be in Holland right now. LOL! And the funniest thing about all of this? I'm looking at pictures you know of Rotterdam and the people? I look like them. And Rotterdam? It looks like Duluth!! It is a beautiful port city with large ships coming in. Full of vibrant people and lovely scenary. Now who would have thought that one out? My home... far, far, away.... =)

On another note... I've been so wanting to have a summer party. One of my coworkers has decided that she wants one as well so we are going to plan something. Does anyone have any good ideas for a summer cocktail party? We have plenty of time yet so send me your ideas. Ideas on drinks, finger food, desserts, decorations, favors, music. So on. This is going to be fun!

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails