Thursday, August 6, 2009

{On the Isle of Uist: Part III}

Here is another installment of my Mother's travels through Scotland...


"We spent the day driving on the isle of Uist. Stephen told me that the Highlands had some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and he wanted to show me one. We were traveling along the single lane road (just like the picture above), on the West Coast of Uist at the Northern edge where we came upon a gate. Stephen told me to step out and open it. The sky looked like it could rain any moment and the wind was picking up. We drove along as far as the road went and then parked the car. He grabbed a blanket from the backseat of the car and we walked until we came to the edge of a cliff and I could not believe my eyes. In front of me was the sea, with the most beautiful white sand beach I have ever seen and not a soul on it. Completely untouched. The tide was way out at what seemed to be near a thousand feet. It looked like an invisible barrier had been put up to keep the sea back and all I could hear was the angry, thunderous roar as the waves came up and broke on the shore. As a child I had lived on the sea, but never had I heard anything like this. Then, we climbed down near the edge and put the blanket down and sat and listened until the rain came."

(Scottish national flower, the Thistle)

To be continued...

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like your mother is quite the adventurer! I would love to go to Scotland myself someday. I have some Scottish heritage and so I am looking forward to reading more of her travels!

Related Posts with Thumbnails