Monday, July 6, 2009

{the 4th of July and all its nummyness}

I love the 4th of July! It is such a wonderful time spent near family and eating good food. Actually a little too much food, I'm afraid. Alot of strawberry shortcake, cheesy potatoes, grilled chicken, homemade burbon baked beans, pickles, and oh yes, more treats. I always walk away saying the same thing, "I don't remember ever eating so much in my entire life." I love eating, but I found that I am actually not that big of an eater as I thought I was. Not compared to some of my cousins. Whew! Those kids can eat! I mean really eat. I felt full after the first few bites and then had to slow down and enjoy the rest of it throughout the day.

This year we spent the 4th in Osceola, Wisconsin with my great aunt Kathleen and her family. Osceola is a beautiful area in southern Wisconsin about three hours southeast of Duluth. It is a lovely landscape of rolling countryside full of silos, red barns, and fields and fields of soybeans and corn. Dairy farms were among the others that we passed by too. It was a wonderful mixture of old world vintage summer days. Many citizens of the area were driving old model trucks and bicycles down the dirt side roads. I felt like I was visiting a different era, like the 1940's. Needless to say it was lovely. And I wished at that point that we still had our farm to go back too or to at least relive the memories that we had there.

On our way back home at 10:00 in the evening (we got a little lost on one of the side roads) we came up over Observation Hill near Skyline in Duluth and there were our fireworks blasting proudly over Lake Superior and the Harbor. It was the most glorious thing I think I have ever seen. It made me so proud to live in the lovely and free country of ours.

I hope you all had a wonderful time with your family as well! Drop me a note and let me know how it went! I would love to hear from you!

photo courtesy of DarlingDexter

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails