Monday, December 8, 2008

Craving: All is Calm Hot Chocolate

My mother owns a small bakery business called Lara's Sweets and Treats. One of my most favorite menu items she offers is All is Calm Hot Chocolate and her homemade marshmallows. Although I can't divulge our famous family recipe I did find a comparable one from Martha Stewart. Hot chocolate is by far one of my favorite drinks, of all! Either flavored with peppermint, cardamon, flavored syrups or my favorite, a little dash of nutmeg. So here is a little gift to you this morning. Make yourself a cup, or two, pull up a cushy chair, put your feet up and open that classic you've been waiting to start. There's nothing like it! So below, is an excellent recipe for homemade marshmallows from Martha Stewart! My mother started making them early on when I was just a little girl. Enjoy!


Ingredients
Makes thirty-five to forty 1 1/2-inch cubes
Vegetable oil, for brushing
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin (3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Gel-paste food coloring
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions
Line with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang on the long sides.
Put granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and 3/4 cup water into a saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup registers 238 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 9 minutes.
Meanwhile, put remaining 3/4 cup water into a mixer bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin, and let soften 5 minutes.
Transfer bowl with gelatin to mixer. With mixer on low speed, beat hot syrup into the gelatin mixture. Gradually raise speed to high, and beat until mixture is very stiff, about 12 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add food coloring, drop by drop, until desired color is reached. Pour into prepared baking dish, and smooth with an offset spatula. Let stand, uncovered, until firm, about 3 hours.
Sift 1 cup confectioners' sugar onto a work surface, unmold marshmallow on top, and remove parchment. Lightly brush a knife with oil, and then trim edges and cut marshmallow into 1 1/2-inch squares. Sift remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar into a bowl, and roll each marshmallow in the sugar to coat. Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

2 Comments:

Jack said...

Thank you for the recipe. My kids have always wanted to try to make marshmallows from scratch.

This is great :)

M Ayers said...

Wow - I was just thinking of homemade marshmallows last night. I was hungry at midnight and opted for hot chocolate. I have the styrofoam-y store bought marshmallows and I was fed up!
I promised myself I would try to make homemade marshmallows.

Thanks for the recipe.

Monique

Related Posts with Thumbnails