Tuesday, January 22, 2008

200th Post! John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon

I cannot believe that this is my 200th post! Honestly I started blogging in the Summer of 2005 and haven't stopped since. I loved the ability to share with you all of my favorite things and musings. It has been a wonderful time and I hope that this next year will be even more inspiring!

Now to share with you one of my favorite things! This weekend, Saturday, January 26th starts the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon. "The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon commemorates the life of John Beargrease, the son of a Chippewa chief who delivered mail by dog sled along Lake Superior’s rugged North Shore in the late 19th century. John Beargrease’s weekly deliveries along the North Shore played a pivotal role providing a lifeline for communities and commerce.On January 27, the world will be watching as we continue the tradition of honoring John Beargrease’s character and commitment—and to celebrate life along the North Shore.Launched in 1981, the Beargrease is the premier sled dog race of the Upper Midwest, drawing world-class sled dog teams from across the nation and around the globe. The Beargrease is the longest and most challenging of sled dog events in the lower 48 states.
The Beargrease is widely respected as the sled dog race to prepare national and international sled dog teams – and is a qualifying race for Alaska’s long distance Iditarod." I hope any of you who love the Northwoods in Duluth as I do will come and cheer for the teams and enjoy the festivities!

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails