Monday, March 17, 2008

Craving: Monkey Bread

Ohhhhh... today I am craving something horrible. Only I can't have any because I am determined to reduce my sugar intake. Not like I really have to but just because I want to step out into a healthier lifestyle. I have been able to eliminate all sugars on my cereals, coffee, tea and now even my oatmeal and instead use honey or pure maple syrup instead of raw cane sugar. It has been a change that's for sure but then again I can say confidently that I don't miss it either. Isn't that strange? A substance that you say (I know because I did) that you can't live without and then all of a sudden you find you can. Pretty liberating actually. I would like to know what it would be like to live a completely natural life. Live in a tree house.... just kidding! So hear is the wonderful recipe that holds my addiction....


Ingredients
FOR THE BREAD
1/4 cup warm water
3 1/4 cups flour
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus pinch for yeast
3/4 cup milk, warmed
2 tablespoons shortening, plus more for pan and bowl
1 package yeast
FOR THE COATING
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup light-brown sugar
FOR THE ICING
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
TOOLS
Mixing Bowls
Liquid Measuring cups
Dry Measuring cups
Measuring Spoons
Bundt pan, (10-inch)
Mixer with dough hook
Plastic wrap
Bench Scraper, or butter knives
*dough can also be kneaded by hand
Directions
Put the warm water and a pinch of sugar in small bowl; sprinkle yeast over top. Stir; let the yeast soften and dissolve, about 5 minutes.
Place shortening, warm milk, sugar, salt, and egg in mixer bowl. Grease Bundt pan and a medium bowl.
Once yeast is dissolved and foamy, add it to mixer bowl; mix well with dough hook. Slowly add flour. Knead on medium-low 1 minute or by hand 5 minutes. Place in the greased bowl; cover with plastic. Set dough in warm place and let rest 20 minutes.
Make coating: Put melted butter in a bowl. In another bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts; sprinkle 2 tablespoons of nut mixture in Bundt pan. Cut dough into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll into balls.
Dip balls in butter, then roll in nut mixture; place in prepared Bundt pan.
Cover with plastic wrap; let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in pan.
Turn bread out of pan; cool 20 minutes on rack or plate.
Make icing: In small bowl, stir milk into confectioners' sugar. Drizzle over bread.


On an unrelated note....

We are getting blasted right now with a huge winter storm. Of all things! Just when we thought we were going to see the light of day! NOPE and just while you are at it forget it entirely. Spring will never come. Bye grass, bye little daffys that are probably dead right now because of the icky snow. So sad. (little tears)

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails