Friday, February 15, 2008

Chicken Coop

As a young girl on the farm one of my favorite things to do was search for eggs in our chicken coop. We had 10 hens who each layed one if not two eggs a day enough to keep a growing family healthy and strong! Today living in the city as I am I miss the days that I was able to do this. Call me crazy but I can't wait for the day when I have a little land around me again where I can have my chicken coop full of eggs and broody hens, rolling pastures full of bleating sheep and a kitchen garden where I can plant all my families needs. I am old fashioned I know. But I just love it. It must be in my blood. My Great Grandmother on my my Father's side used to have a farm on the prairies of North Dakota and she grew up in a sod home surrounded by animals and simplicity. I don't live a very simple life now but some day I hope to again. Just yesterday I was dreaming with my Mummy and I told her that when we move back to Scotland I couldn't be much happier if I worked in a flower shop and had a little home with chickens and baby lambs! She just giggled and said that it would soot me well. Oh... someday!


Photo courtesy of Martha Stewart Living (Chicken Coop)

4 Comments:

Tanya said...

I thought I was the only crazy one who yearned for a chicken coop! I love the idea of fresh eggs every morning and yes, the fun part if discovering them.

Love your blog!

Emme McClain said...

At least I am not the only one! Thanks Tanya for checking my little spot out. Hope you check back in soon!

Unknown said...

Hi Emily! I'd been trying to locate a picture of Martha Stewart's chicken coops after hearing about them from a friend. I'm in Burnsville/Eagan right now and we're hoping to put in an offer on 7 acres (with a chicken coop!) in Stillwater this week.
Wish us luck! Duluth is such a fun area...sure has grown and changed over the years. You're welcome to come to the Cities and help me with my chicken coop anytime should the deal go ahead. I don't know the first thing about chickens, but am a fast learner and am more than willing! Something about a simplier life as we age is so appealing.
My best to you,
Suzy

Emme McClain said...

Hello Susan! So glad to hear from you! I can't wait to have chickens again. Actually, just last week I heard from my mother that they are letting homeowners raise chickens. We are in the city limits but far enough on the edge that it works out. Hopefully, someday it will be a reality again.
I wish you the best in your deal. Nothing is more wonderful than a little farm.

Emily =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails